Monday, October 25, 2010

Thank You Brett Favre...

Despite being the weaker team Sunday I managed to get my sixth win of the season and retain sole possession of the #1 spot in my fantasy league. I would like to thank Brett Favre for using up the last 4 minutes of the game last night without scoring or giving Aaron Rodgers another chance. I would also like to thank Jason Curts for his unfortunate judgment call. My poor decisions of leaving Seattle's Mike Williams and Arizona's Beanie Wells on the bench cost me about 20 points. However my opponent saw that mistake and raised me Kenny Britt's 225 yard, 3 touchdown perfomance from the bench. Had he played Britt I would have lost by up to 35 points, but he didn't and I won by less than 3. While hindsight is a bitch this is the great (and humbling) part of fantasy football- anything can happen. We don't know who will blow it and who will blow up; we just make a judgment call based on or limited information and do the best we can. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but there are a few things I've learned this year.

First, Roddy White is a beast. Yeah, it's true Britt had a great game and yeah, Dwayne Bowe has had a few good games but White is easily the most consistent wideout in the NFL. Through 7 games he's only had one game in which he didn't have either 100 yards or a touchdown (and that happens to be the only game I've lost). He is averaging 14.96 fantasy points per game and continues to be the most targeted receiver in the league. He will continue to shine and if you can get him on your team find a way to make it happen.

Second, your bench can ruin you. How many times have you been trying to decide between two guys? Maybe you have a top player on a bye and need to replace him with one of two bench players and can't decide. You keep switching back and forth and after the game the guy you started got you 3 points while the one still on the bench could have given you 12.  My conclusion-trade as many bench players as possible for legitimate starters. We're at the half-way point of the season and by now the playoff picture is starting to come into focus. There is bound to be that one team without any depth and he could use 3 of your "potential players" in exchange for a star. The less options you have the easier it will be to make a decision. Get 7 must start players and leave the rest to ride the bench after week 10.

Third, I've learned to trust my instincts. Sometimes we over think things to much or listen to what other people say instead of how we feel. I've found that when I follow my gut, more often than not I end up okay. Not that this is coming from experience or anything, but I really wish I would have started Mike Williams instead of Robert Meachem.

It's been a wild year in the NFL and it's sure to continue so buckle up. Make your key trades and get ready for playoff. Bye weeks are over after week 10 and the trade deadline is November 26th. After that, the best group of 7 will win the league. Good luck.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that I am dropping Brett Favre as my backup QB for last nights terrible performance.

    ReplyDelete